Makeup Revolution Velvet Matte Lip Lacquers

/ 8 comments
Not so long ago, Lime crime took the make-up world by storm with the unveiling of their extraordinarily long lasting liquid lipsticks - 'Velvetines'. Since then, a few brand have had a pop at duping them - MUA, Pretty Zombie, Sleek, Rimmel and now purse friendly budget brand, Makeup Revolution. Curious to see how they held up, I ordered two lip lacquers to try for myself.

[ 'I'm in a death metal band' font *swoon* ]

[ Rose gold outer sleeve, it's like they were designed with bloggers in mind...]

The tubes themselves are your typical gloss tubes, nothing fancy. These come with doe foot applicators which allow for more precise application than those silly whippy brushes you sometimes get with glosses. Look at the golden gothy font, too, oh how I'm a sucker for such things...

[ Makeup Revolution 'Velvet Depravity' matte lip lacquer swatch ]

For some reason, all of the names have 'Velvet' as a prefix - why, I do not know. Maybe in homage to 'Velvetines' it odd, don't you think? Bizarre naming aside, 'Velvet Depravity' is a bright, slightly blue toned creamy purple - eye catching and unique. I think 'Velvet Depravity' would suit pale folk best; it would also look amazing worked into a darker purple to create an ombre effect.

Makeup Revolution 'Velvet Vamp' matte lip lacquer swatch ]

'Velvet Vamp' is right up my street. Unapologetically deep, dark, gothic purple-red - it's actually so close to black I'm having trouble describing its colour in exact terms. All you need to know is that if you're after the statement lip for Autumn/ Winter - you've found it.

[Apply over a balm/ lipstick with a synthetic brush for maximum precision and comfort ]

Texture and application wise, they're identical. Fairly thick (thicker than MUA's and Sleek's equivalents), extremely well pigmented and veeery matte with a faint smell that could best be described as acrylic paint. Once dried, these STAY PUT. They will not budge unless you're eating greasy food, as it's only something oily which is capable of removing them.


Overall, I have mixed feelings about these lip lacquers. On the one hand, the pigmentation and colours are unbeatable, the longevity is ridicuously good and I do love a strong matte finish -however, the matte texture is very drying without a heavy dose of lip balm and the removal process can be a pain. Is it worth it, though? For me, yes, but only just...

Available - In store at Superdrug or online at Makeup Revolution

Price - £3
Selection - 11 shades

Have you tried Makeup Revolution lip lacquers? What about other brands equivalents? Tempted by these? Let me know!

Bloglovin | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

8 comments:

  1. I don't think I could ever wear the purple one, it's a bit too out there for me! Velvet Vamp goes beautifully with your hair though. I really want to try the Sleek versions of these, there is the most beautiful colour I've seen. I do love the rose gold packaging for this though!

    India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I havent seen these ones in the shops yet, they look incredble I love the vampy one and that purple looks really good on you.
    Zeynab xx
    The Beautifully Disastrous

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think both shades are really gorgeous. Generally I find matte products to be pretty drying but I love the finish so I'll make my sacrifices xx

    http://sinnerette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos, and you are rocking Velvet Vamp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photography is amaaazing! Loved this review, I don't think I'd be brave to rock either of those shades, but they do look gorgeous on yourself ^_^
    Iqra |The Blushing Giraffe x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the dark lips.

    the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.