Oooh, it's been a while since I posted anything for 'Veggie Tasty', hasn't it?! Fear not, for I am back with a recipe both herbivores and omnivores would happily devour - gooey, chocolately rolo brownies! I'll admit that I'm not usually a brownies kinda gal, 99% of brownies I've ever had have been dry, bland and generally 'meh' - not what you want from a sweet treat. I decided to try and rectify their usual short falls with a crap tonne of chocolatey goodness...
50g Cocoa Powder
250g Caster Sugar
50g Golden Granulated Sugar (or brown sugar)
250g Self Raising Flour
100g Milk Chocolate Chips/ Chunks (optional)
4 Packets of Rolos
1 tbsp Hersheys Chocolate Syrup (optional)
Slog of Vanilla Extract (optional)
1. Fling everything but the rolos into a bowl and blitz with an electric whisk until smooth. You don't even need to sift the flour or cocoa powder - seriously - just chuck it in!
2. Line a 4cm deep baking dish with grease proof paper. I always ignore dish sizes in recipes - just eyeball it, so long as the dish is fairly deep and a reasonable size, you're fine. You can use a bit of butter to keep the paper in place.
3. Pour roughly half of the mix into the dish and smooth it out a bit. Cut the rolos in half and press them lightly into the mix, You can be all neat and fancy like me (for once) or just chuck them on - either way, it'll taste the same!
4. Once your rolos are in place, spoon the mix over the top and be sure to cover all the rolos (this will stop them from burning).
5. Cook at 180 degrees for 35 minutes, then cover in foil and bake for a further 10. Prod all over with a pokey thing (technical terms) to see if it's cooked through - keep in mind it will still be a bit gooey thanks to all of that molten chocolate and caramel.
6. Leave the brownie in it's dish for ten minutes cooling, then turn it out onto a wire rack (the grill rack will do) and leave it to cool completely. Slice it up and enjoy!
Looking in the cake tin this morning and seeing only five pieces left, I can see it was quite a success with my family! I can't blame them really - all of those rolos and chocolate chunks melting into the sponge makes this a seriously good brownie recipe.
Orange Chocolate Brownies - Swap the rolos for Terry's chocolate orange and the vanilla extract for orange essence.
Not Really Brownies Raspberry Brownies - Leave out the cocoa powder and use 300g or flour. Use white chocolate chips and a layer of raspberries instead of rolos.
Mint Chocolate Brownies - Swap the rolos for mint aero chunks or mint cremes. I wouldn't advise swapping the vanilla for mint essence unless you like the idea of toothpaste flavour cake...
Grown Up Brownies - Leave out the rolos and swap milk chocolate chips for dark chocolate chips. Add 3 tablespoons of any decent alcohol (rum, baileys and coffee liqueur seem popular).
Oreo Brownies - Swap the rolos for crushed up oreos.
Are you going to try rolo brownies or any of the variations? Do you agree that they're usually pretty bland? Link me to your favourite brownies recipe!