GUEST POST: Veggie Tasty Chilli

/ 1 comment
Hi I'm Katy from Rottenotter's Thoughts and I'll be guest posting today while Lily's away on holiday. Which I'm just a tiny bit jealous of! I haven't got a holiday planned this year but I'm thinking of Paris at the end of the year.

Since Lily became a vegetarian at the start of the year and I've been one for my whole life I thought I'd share one of my favourite recipes. If I could eat one meal for the rest of my life, it would be this chilli! It was my favourite meal growing up that my mum would make and now I make it whenever I'm stuck on what to eat for tea. It's also great if you don't really have time to cook a proper meal during the week as you can make a batch one night and it'll keep for a few days or you can freeze it. Depending on what I have with it, I can get 3 or 4 meals out of this recipe.

guest post chilli recipe 9

Ingredients:
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
2 peppers
225g quorn mince
1 tin of kidney beans
1 tin of plum tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
Mild chilli powder
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of oregano and marjoram
1 teaspoon of sesame seeds
Twist of pepper
4 cloves
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar

guest post chilli recipe 8
1. Grab a medium sized pan and heat up some oil. Chop up your onion then fry it until it turns translucent and add your crushed garlic.

guest post chilli recipe 7
2. Remove seeds and chop the peppers. The colour of the peppers really doesn't matter but I always use red, orange or yellow. I cannot stand the taste of green peppers, anyone else agree? Add these to the onion and fry until soft. I find they cook better and quicker with the pan lid on.

guest post chilli recipe 6
3. Once the peppers are cooked you can add your quorn mince (or normal mince if you eat meat). This just needs defrosting so will only take a minute or two.

guest post chilli recipe 5
4. Drain your kidney beans and add them to the pan and give the whole thing a stir.

guest post chilli recipe 4
5. Chop up your can of tomatoes if it isn't already chopped. Don't forget to add the tomato juice that's in the can. Add in the tomato puree, which I usually just guess how much by eye, and mix everything up.

guest post chilli recipe 3
6. Finally add everything that's going to give this chilli flavour:chilli powder, cinnamon, sugar, oregano, marjoram, sesame seeds, pepper, cloves, bay leaf and balsamic vinegar.

guest post chilli recipe 2
7. Give it all a god stir then simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on. Don't worry if it all looks a bit dry at this point. Once it cooks it'll sort its self out and won't stick to the pan.

guest post chilli recipe 1
8. Remove the cloves and bay leaf and serve with whatever you fancy. I usually have it in a wrap with rice and sour cream/yoghurt. It's also great on baked potatoes or nachos. You could even just eat it on its own.

Let me know if you decided to make this recipe and how you get on!

Massive thanks to Katy for sharing this tasty looking dish on my blog! Don't forget to check out her blog - Rottenotter's Thoughts :)

1 comment:

  1. It sounds delicious. I agree, green peppers are horrid! I always buy peppers singly rather than in the cheaper packs of three, as there are always green peppers in the 3-packs. Yuk! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.