Stuffed Peppers Recipe (Serves 1)
1 pepper, halved and deseeded
50g chopped tomatoes
A couple of mushrooms, chopped into chunks
A wedge of onion, chopped into chunks
A clove of garlic (or a little garlic paste)
I didn't really weigh out anything, just thinking 'What will fit inside a pepper?' should do. This is a recipe you can make by eye.
1. Put the rice on to boil, remove from heat once tender.
2. While the rice is boiling, fry the mushrooms and onion with a little oil until slightly golden.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes,garlic, seasoning and herbs (I used dried oregano and fresh parsley) to the mushrooms and onions, simmer until the excess juice evaporates (5 - 10 minutes).
4. Drain the rice and stir it into the tomato mixture.
5. Place the peppers on a baking tray and stuff each half with the rice mix, add grated cheese over the top, cover with foil and pop in the oven (180 degrees) for 25 minutes.
6. Remove the foil and cook for a further 15 minutes.
This is the basic recipe, but honestly you could use practically anything to stuff these with! Olives, vegetarian mince, chillies, risotto, falafel mix, spinach, beans, bread crumb/ savoury crumble topping...I think next time I'd like to use halloumi chunks instead of the grated cheddar cheese, mmmmm, tasty!
Do you eat stuffed peppers? What do you fill yours with?