TUTORIAL - Dying Hair Extensions

/ 12 comments
After receiving these gorgeous extensions from Halo Hair, I wasn't sure what to do with them...I attached them to a wig, parodied a Will Smith song, then stuck them in the cupboard. Y'see, stunning as they are, grey toned blues look awful with my skintone, and these extensions were veeeery grey-blue. Time to whip out the dye!

1. Gather your extensions, a bin bag, your bleach (if needed), dye, dying gloves, tint brush and comb.

2. Cut open your bin bag and lay it flat over a table/ floor. Bleach your extensions according to the instructions. Remember that extensions are treated differently to actual hair, so they may develop at different speed or give an odd colour result - strand tests are a good idea!

3. Apply your dye with the tint brush to BOTH SIDES of the extensions, comb through, rub in - whatever you need to do to ensure an even coverage. I used Directions 'Turquoise' mixed with a little Directions 'Midnight Blue'.

4. Run some warm water into your sink and gently work shampoo into the extensions. Rinse, run clean water, repeat. Repeat until the water runs clear or (like me) you get bored.

It's best to hold the extensions by the track so that you don't end up with a nasty, ragged hair ball.

5. Hand your extensions up to dry (I use trouser hangers with the clips), straighten/ style if you need to.

6. Marvel at your handy-work!

 7. Pop 'em in, style, take photos, attempt not to look like somebody pooped in your coffee (I failed at this) and blog!

This will ONLY work with human hair extensions. To test whether yours are human hair or synthetic, hold a few strands over a flame - if they melt, they're synthetic.

Do you wear extensions? Do you dye them?

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! I'm 75% there with how long I want my hair to be before I introduce some teal/greenish ocean colour to it. But it might be wise to try this first just in case I look like a noob and it doesn't suit me. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic idea - I used to have purple hair, and I miss it so much, but my current job won't allow it. I do have some hair extensions - they're even human hair - but I almost never wear them. I could dye them purple then have a weekend purple streak!

    oooh exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair is amazing :) I love it. I've never worn hair extensions before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, looks lovely! I can't dye my hair so this is the one way I can still have the alternative look I used to have with loads of funky colours x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always colour my extensions. Just by the hair in whatever base I'm sporting and then colour. Mum's a hairdresser so I don't even have to do them myself!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats what I did wth my extensions but only a purple ombre. Unfortunately heat + the bleach they couldn't last much longer

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks gorgeous! really like the new piercings x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay I'm definately getting some turqoise in my hair! AHHH! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DONT BUY FROM HALO HAIR EXTENSIONS THEY ARE SUCH A BAD COMPANY. I BOUGHT FROM THEM AND THEY WERE SO NICE. THE MINUTE I HAD A PROBLEM THEY DIDNT WANT TO NO!! THEY HAVE BLOCKED ME ON TWITTER FOR SPEAKING THE TRUTH. THEY TOLD ME I COULD BLEACH THEM AN MY HAIRDRESSER DID SO BUT THE COLOUR STILL HASNT TAKEN AFTER 2 ATTEMPTS AN ABIT OF HAIR FELL OUT AND IS STILL DOING SO! DONT BUY FROM THEM THEY ARE TERRIBLE TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. £95 DOWN AND STILL HAVNT WORN THEM

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I can't wait to try this! Haha :D

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.