Swatches - High Voltage Cosmetics

/ 6 comments
I've been eyeing High Voltage Cosmetics for quite some time, their colours look gorgeous and complex, plus - I've never read a bad review. After chit-chatting a couple of times to the creator, Jasmine on Twitter (@_High_Voltage_) I decided I'd much rather send my money to a lovely, friendly lady with a love of cosmetics than to a 'faceless' company - just shows how keeping in touch with your audience can be worthwhile - take note, faceless companies!

[[ Solar Power, Hot Rockin', Heart Throb, Little Misfit ]]

Solar Power is a deep, shimmering, midnight grey-blue with a touch of purple over a dark base - great for lining and smokey looks. Hot Rockin' is a golden, herbal green over a dark base, a sophisticated colour I can imagine 'nearly neutral' lovers enjoying. Heart Throb and Little Misfit are so similar, I'd go as far as to say that they are more or less the same - both have the same blood red-brown base with green duochrome, only Heart Throb's duochrome is much stronger.

[[ Perfect 10, Faith, Believe in Yourself, Champagne Supernova, In Loving Memory]]

Perfect 10 is a brown taupe with slight gold and silver shimmer - I imagine taupe lovers would go CRAZY over this shade, it is truly beautiful and unique. Faith is a sky blue with fine silver shimmer and a soft pearl finish, when I swatched it, it reminded me of a slightly darker MAC 'Sky Blue' - my favourite loose pigment. Believe in Yourself is a red-peach with slight shimmer which swatched MUCH darker over Hi-Fi base than it did over UDPP, either way it's a pretty colour. As a Mancunian and Oasis fan, I had to buy Champagne Supernova, which is a golden-cream, perfect for highlighting - not a clue as to why it photographed purpley! In Loving Memory is a pearly white, I imagine those with pale skintones would enjoy this as a highlight shade.

Note - Faith, Believe in Yourself and In Loving Memory are all part of the Awareness Collection, 10% of each sale will be donated to Susan G. Komen for the Cure - a charity which supports those with breast cancer and strives to help in finding a cure. They were included as free samples.

[[ Pretty in Pink ]]

Pretty in Pink is MUCH darker and redder in real life than the swatch picture on the site. On the site, it shows as a creamy, pale salmon pink - swatched it shows as a medium neutral brown toned red-pink, entirely different, I'm sure you'll agree. Worn, this is a 'my lips but better' shade for me, which I don't tend to wear, but I'm sure my mum will like it!

Overall, I like everything I bought, but I'm a bit baffled Pretty in Pink. It's not exactly what I expected. I understand how hard it can be to accurately photograph make-up, but it's not just the photo that don't match what I received - it's the description, too. Either way, I'm not too fussed - it's still pretty!

** Update 25/ 10. High Voltage read about 'Pretty in Pink' and it figures that it was mislabelled. Jasmine offered to send another - top customer service!

6 comments:

  1. Omg, Heartthrob looks amazing! I only have one HV shadow but I adore it. must get round to getting more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty swatches!!! I’m following your blog now, check mine out too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solar Power and Hot Rockin' are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great swatches! Heart Throb is so pretty! I haven't pulled my High Voltage out recently. Been busy playing with Halloween collections. Guess I need to get back to them. And yes, their products are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I was just looking at Heart Throb on another blog and I *thought* it had a bit of green going on. I LOVE MAC Club so I totally need Heart Throb :D the duochrome is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Robyn, it is a stunner and a half! Can't wait to whip up some looks with it.

    @ Make-up Majesty, thanksm they're gorgeous colours! Definitely check out High Voltage when you can.

    @ The Peach, thanks! Heart Throb is certainly the show stopper. Still super jealous of all the Halloween stuff you hauled!

    @ SilhouetteScreams, aye, I think Heart Throb is muchos redder than Club, it's a super deep blood red-brown as opposed to a straight up red-brown. The green is really noticeable! So awesome :D

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.